Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Scribblenauts and the unfortunate loss of self-esteem





For me, pre-ordering a game is not automatic. This isn't by choice exactly, it's by necessity. I would love to pre-order all the games that catch my eye but I can't always put money up-front when I have to consider bills, groceries, public laundromats, and my comics habit. I am a gamer with her priorities straight, that's for certain.

So it's an impressive feat that I was able to pre-order Scribblenauts at all, and my drive to do so was mostly fueled by the want for that cute little rooster hat.






Got my rooster thinking cap on #scribblenauts on Twitpic
Exhibit A




5th Cell, the brains behind this addicting yet challenging little game had already won my heart with Drawn To Life,  an ingenious DS title that allowed you to create your avatar and parts of the world around you to interact with. This may or may not have been smart because taking a cue from others who played the game, instead of drawing a cloud I drew an alligator. And instead of a floating platform to ride on it was the Batman logo. But you can see how you can just lose yourself in 5th Cell's games and really enjoy yourself, no matter what age the game is targeted at.

Such is the experience with Scribblenauts. Though there is also a downside to this game's 23,000+ possible words, in that sometimes it is simple to just revert to the same objects because they are familiar and easy. This game almost makes me feel dumb, and being a writer whose specialty is fiction that is not a good thing.
There are so many different ways to solve each puzzle that sometimes it's hard to remember that pretty much anything goes. Some of the solutions people have come up with are so original (and often silly) I'm stuck feeling like the crotchety, unimaginative neighbor who scowls at you when you pretend to play army with your friends.

There are so many ways to solve these puzzles and yet I'm stumped on a lot of the levels simply because my brain can't fathom up more than wings, mind control device, and pegasus. What is wrong with me? I thought I was better than this, I thought I was a creator and a master of illusion (on paper, that is), but 5th Cell has managed to shoot down all of these thoughts with just one frustratingly addictive and adorably designed game.

Despite my creative well feeling low, I can't help but love this game. And the rooster hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment